When one if five men want to last longer in bed and complain of premature ejaculation (PE), the medical world had to take note of it. But the irony is, premature cannot be universally defined which is needed to recognize the disease and research for its causes and treatment.
So as it stands today – Premature ejaculation (PE) is not a disease. The inability to control ejaculation is rarely due to medical condition. That complicates the research even more. However, we will cover in this article all the latest research, cause, treatment, tricks and tips to last longer available.
Premature Ejaculation: Cause, Symptoms, Cure, Home Remedies
This condition demands more self-awareness and self-diagnosis than the doctor’s intervention in the beginning. Only if the situation persists for a very long time causing mental trauma, people prefer to visit a doctor for PE.
Premature Ejaculation Meaning
With an ill-defined clinical context, premature ejaculation (PE) exists if the partners involved in sexual activity say so. It is difficult to measure in time, but some clinical trials consider intravaginal ejaculatory latency time (IELT) of less than 1 minute as definite PE. Between 1 minute to 1.5 minutes is probable PE.
So in plain lay man’s language, if you last less than 1.5-2 minutes in intercourse very frequently or all the time, and you want to last longer in bed, then your case can be premature ejaculation. With that said, if you are completely satisfied with your partner with such times, don’t be bothered. Too much of the sexual problems of Man come from social conditioning and its expectations.
Symptoms of PE & Diagnosis
Symptoms of PE must take into account 3 important factors.
- Self or partner’s dissatisfaction
- Since how long the condition exists
- The frequency of the early release
You must understand, studies have shown that the average time from the beginning of intercourse to ejaculation is about five to six minutes. So taking that as a reference point, you must judge yourself on the above 3 factors.
For a person involved in sexual activity for 2-3 times a week, if you experience early release too often or almost always for at least 6 months or more causing immense stress and frustration, then your condition may be considered as PE. Some people experience early ejaculation in their teenage, new relationships or during extreme anxiety which can not be classified as PE. The temporary condition of PE usually stops with the passage of time or event or mood.
But some people during their entire sexual life experience PE which must need medical attention.
Causes of Premature Ejaculation:
The causes of premature ejaculation are not known completely to medical science yet. But clinically there is an agreement that it is a complex phenomenon of psychological and biological reactions that lead to PE. Clinically more and more biological factors are being discovered lately, so that they can be handled via external interference of drugs to cure PE.
Biological factors may be –
- Penile hypersensitivity;
- Hyperexcitable ejaculatory reflex
- Genetic predisposition;
- 5-hydroxy tryptamine (5-HT)-receptor dysfunction.
- Erectile dysfunction or Penile shaft abnormalities
- Other medications side effects
- Abnormal hormonal levels
In simple language, the entire nervous system involving the ejaculation process and sexual reflex action remains disturbed and weak.
Recently scientists have observed the role of one neurotransmitter called serotonin in the process of ejaculation. Neurotransmitters are the chemicals used as signals to communicate in the brain. This observation has helped in the treatment of PE. More on this in the PE treatment section.
However, many biological factors are the result of some major psychological and behavioral reasons like –
- Early exposure to sexual activity
- Sexual addiction in mind caused by early frequent Masturbation and Porn
- First time anxiety of new partner or sexual activity
- Performance anxiety
- Immense stress
- Frequent masturbation causing ejaculation related nervous system and reflexes very weak
How to Cure Premature Ejaculation
Unless PE is due to any anatomical reasons, there is no cure for the life long premature ejaculation. However, you can control PE and many people just use various methods to stop premature ejaculation.
First, any anatomical reasons must be ruled out like penile shaft abnormalities, prostate issues etc by diagnosis. In those cases, clinical intervention helps.
In rest of the cases, control of PE is possible through the below methods.
- Self-help last longer tricks
- Sprays, Creams
Most of the time, if the behavioral analysis is done properly, then treating the root cause can help with PE. More than sex therapists, you yourself are better equipped to analyze your root cause of PE with pure questioning.
- If you realize sexual excesses in form of frequent masturbation has caused a disturbance in your ejaculation process, then restraint helps in few cases of PE.
- Porn watching disturbs the sexual response mechanism in the brain and in few cases causes sexual addiction. So stop watching porn helps restore some of the sexual reflexes to normalcy and helps in PE.
- Many people report improvement in PE when they continue with a partner for long as the anxiety of new partner slowly dies down.
- Some people report improving their ejaculatory control with age.
- Certain people learn to deal with performance anxiety and eventually improve on their ejaculation times.
If none of this helps, then people often resort to other techniques to control PE.
Self-help – How to Stop Premature Ejaculation Naturally:
Over time, sex therapists have come up with various self-help last longer in bed tricks and techniques to delay ejaculation. By sheer thinking and common sense, many people derive techniques of their own. Here are few such tricks
- The primary and most widely used common sense technique remains distraction and thinking anything other than sex. It is a hit or miss method but works for all.
- Kegel exercises remain the most favored method in social media, but it takes time to translate into better voluntary control over man’s ejaculation. Other forms of pelvic floor exercises also help strenghten the ejaculatory control resulting in delayed ejaculation.
- You can, of course, take a break just before point-of-no-return and start again – popularized as stop-start technique.
- Some people manage to take a deep breath and the peak of orgasm subsides. Thus they manage to manipulate their voluntary control over ejaculation. This becomes better with practice.
Medicines – Best Pills for Premature Ejaculation
Though the entire functioning of ejaculation has limited understanding, still Scientists have made some inroads into the biochemical and nervous reactions leading to ejaculation. Accidentally users of some anti-depressant drugs reported sexual side effects which included delayed or no ejaculation. This finding helped to use those pills for premature ejaculation treatment.
There is a clinical understanding that increases in serotonin help in delayed ejaculation. So certain anti-depressant drugs which release Serotonin temporarily in the body fit the bill perfectly for treatment for PE.
Dapoxetine is one such anti-depressant drugs which are officially the only pill for Premature Ejaculation. It stays in the body for 24 hours, so can be taken more often. Dapoxetine is prescribed to be taken 2-3 hours before intercourse.
But be ready with serious side effects of Dapoxetine when used for PE. There is a high discontinuation rate – almost 80% stop in the first six months of using this drug as per one controlled study. The severe side effects can even extend to erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, nausea, nervousness, and confusion.
Some other anti-depressants which stop serotonin reabsorption in brain cells also can be used as pills for PE –
- Citalopram (Celexa)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem)
- Paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Vilazodone (Viibryd)
However, SSRI dapoxetine is the only oral pharmacologic agent approved for the treatment of premature ejaculation (PE) and is very effective.
PE Cream and Sprays
This remains the last resort of people who need to stop PE instantly. Desensitizing gels, creams and sprays work on the same principle of mild anesthetic effect on the penis which delays the ejaculation.
These must be applied sometime before the sexual activity and must be wiped clean up before intercourse. There is a danger to desensitize your partner and numb her which must be avoided with precautions.
Since they are applied on the skin of the penis, test them for a compatibility test for your skin.